.

.

Sunday, December 30, 2012

Here's to the New Year

Christmas has been wonderful! How nice it has been to not have anything to worry about. No homework, no drama, no deciding what to have for dinner, no grocery shopping, and no boys. Though I spent a good chunk of the break sitting on the couch with ice packs glued to my face I am completely updated on the Lord of the Rings series, the Harry Potter series, the first two seasons of Downton Abbey and a long list of other movies. Lazy. I know, but how good it felt! Just being here with my family, not doing anything in particular is my favourite. I'm not a huge fan of plans and large crowds- I much prefer staying in, playing cards, and sipping on Diet Coke.
 Since coming home I have realized true friends. I had a particular conversation with a dear friend over hot chocolate just the other day about true friends. There are often times when we try so hard to keep people in our lives, but then we realize that they just don't really care. Those conversations that are forced, and one sided are sure signs that the other person just doesn't really value what's going on in your life, and what you are going through. I've really appreciated those who have called me up, or have made an effort to see me while being home. We may not keep in touch while apart, but it's so good when we can sit down and talk like we haven't been a part at all. We also talked about how hard it is to find good friends at school. Everyone is busy with the hustle and bustle of their own lives that they don't have time to just slow down. Another sort are those who are all talk, but show little to no consideration for your feelings in their actions. So to those that are and have been my friends through thick and thin- I love you.
As the New Year approaches I've been thinking of all the adventures I'm going to have next year. The most prominent in my mind is that of a mission. Today was Korlyn Gulbranson's homecoming, with a bit (okay a lot) of a Spanish accent he gave a wonderful talk about his mission. I couldn't help but envy him and his opportunity to serve the Lord for two years. I will be getting my call next month and I just felt totally overwhelmed with excitement and a rejuvenation of motivation while listening to him. I cannot wait to serve the Lord. I have been asked to serve as the Relief Society President, and so I can serve the sisters in my ward now. To serve the Lord with all my being is what I desire most. To totally give myself over to the Lord is no easy task. There are things I will have to give up and overcome, but to know that the Lord can use me is so humbling. Even with all my faults and imperfections he can use me. 
I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that the Gospel of Jesus Christ is true. It brings such peace and happiness to my life. I would not be willing to give up a  year and a half of my life if I had a doubt. I know that Jesus Christ lived and died for all men, and lives again. Through him, I and all people can become perfect and return to live with him, if we live righteously. He has felt all our pains, sorrows, and worries. Our Heavenly Father has blessed us with apostles and a prophet who receive revelation from him, like prophets of old. I am so grateful for the truth that I know and I love it. 
To find out more visit: mormon.org

So here's to the New Year and all the adventures and friends that come with it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment